As we just posted, Nintendo revealed at its 3DS press conference in Tokyo today (which is now over) that the new system will hit stores in Japan on February 26 (price: $300, including a 2GB SD card), followed by the US and Europe one month later (price yet unknown). But that wasn’t all, as big N also showed the final design of the hardware, listed up quite a few cool game titles and made some other interesting announcements.
And if what Nintendo revealed today at the press conference is any indication, the 3DS looks like another home run for the company – although it’s pricey. But what did they say?
1) Virtual console
The 3DS will feature a Virtual Console that will allow you to download Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games. Super Mario Land and Link’s Awakening were the two titles demo’d.
2) Wireless capability
Tag mode: 3DS systems will be able to exchange data with each other, transferring data for multiple games at once (you don’t have to be playing the game at the time to receive data). In tag mode, the 3DS auto-exchanges information like last game played, when you met the other player, etc.
With Wi-Fi turned on, the 3DS can auto-download various data (rankings, entire games etc.) at hot spots even in sleep mode.
3) Final Hardware design
Not many surprises here, it’s just the stylus that looks sexier than before, and the slidepad is now in a different color. The first two colors are blue and black, but others are sure to follow soon.
You’ll be able to tweak the depth of the 3D effect for games and content through a 3D slider on the right side, as pictured below (that feature was already known and is likely to be taken over by competitors in the future):
4) Mii Studio
Make a picture of a person with the camera, and it will be automatically turned into a Mii. Mii pictures can then be saved on SD cards. It’s also possible to exchange Miis with people who you meet out on the street (in tag mode).
5) Other bits and pieces
- The 3DS comes with a function that merges two pictures into one, for example to create one face out of two.
- Japanese TV stations are preparing 3D content specifically for the 3DS.
- Nintendo seems to be ready to stress web browsing capabilities stronger with the 3DS and has demo’d a web browser.
- Nintendo didn’t announce this before but plans to use the cameras in the 3DS for augmented reality games.
6) List of top games currently in development (hit this link for a video – sorry, wasn’t able to embed it here)
- Resident Evil: Revelation
- Resident Evil: Mercenaries
- Mega Man Legends 3
- Super Street Fighter 4 – 3D
- Dead or Alive
- Super Monkeyball
- Ridge Racer
- Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater
- StarFox64 3D
- Steel Diver
- Paper Mario
- nintendogs + cats
- Mario Kart
- Pilot Wings Resort
- Paper Mario
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Nintendo 3DS: First Titles, Final Design, And More Details Revealed